Milton Madison bridge
It all started in 1928...
Built by J.G. White Engineering Corp., construction was started in 1928, and completed in 1929, at the cost of $1,365,101.84. It was opened for traffic on December 20, 1929. Originally a toll bridge, on November 1, 1947 at noon the toll was removed.
The bridge had a deck width of a mere 20 feet, and above the deck the vertical clearance was 16.8 feet.
In 1997 the bridge was refurbished, and was replaced in the first half of the 2010s, as the original bridge was "functionally obsolete" and "structurally deficient." It had a sufficiency rating of 33 out of a possible 100; its superstructure condition rating was considered "poor." Modern trucks were unable to safely use the old bridge.